This required, 12-month longitudinal experience will focus on the administrative and leadership functions of the pharmacy enterprise, professional leadership and medication use policy.
The experience will include 3 parts.
- Didactic sessions/discussions on finance, leadership and medication use policy. Attendance at >80% of the didactic sessions is required.
- Attendance at various departmental and organizational meetings:
- Weekly department huddle
- Pharmacy, Therapeutics & Dietary Committee
- Medication Safety Team
- Pump Safety Committee
- Organizational Quality Improvement Committee
- Completion of an administrative project and several medication use policy assignments
Common topics that the resident is expected to gain knowledge, skills and abilities through literature review and topic discussions include:
- Formulary management
- Medication safety
- Medication use evaluation
- Joint Commission compliance
- Adverse drug events
- Information technology and databases (Cerner, Alaris)
- Administrative topics (capital budget development, personnel issues, operational practices and others)
- Emotional intelligence
- Professional leadership
- Professional organizational involvement
- Quality improvement