Olathe Health Ambassadors
Ambassadors are an extremely vital thread in the fabric of our successful and caring hospital. You might be guiding a visitor to the right room or office, directing calls to a patient’s room or quietly reassuring family members waiting for a report from surgery.
For More Information:
Abby Hardwick, Volunteer Services Manager
From working in clinical departments, delivering mail and magazines to patient rooms, serving customers in the OMC Gift Shop or OH! Baby Boutique, or providing support to families and visitors, Ambassadors are essential members of our care team.
- Adult opportunities all year long for day, evening and weekend shifts.
- Most adult opportunities require a weekly commitment of four hours or more for at least six months.
- Student opportunities available in the summer months.
In addition to our Ambassador program, Olathe Health welcomes episodic volunteers or corporate groups to complete special projects. Different requirements apply. Contact the volunteer services manager for more information.
Adult Volunteer Details
- Download our application here. (Instructions are included in the application packet.)
- Once your application and background check have been received and reviewed, you will be notified by phone or email to schedule an interview and discuss opportunities currently available.
- Information/Reception Desks - Hospital Front Lobby, The Doctors Building 1, Pavilion, GI Lab, Outpatient Surgery Center
- Patient Registration
- Surgery Family Room
- Surgery Nurses Station
- Gift Shops
- Office/Clerical Work
- Emergency Care Center
- Magazine Cart
- Mail Delivery
- Pet Therapy: Pet Teams must be registered with Pet Partners. Please visit www.mo-kanpetpartners.org for more information.
- Special Projects: Sewing "HUGS" for children in the hospital, knitting baby caps, quilting patient lap quilts, sewing eyeglass cases for surgery patients, fundraiser sales and so much more!
Opportunities for committee work and leadership positions within the Ambassador team
AGE: 18 years or older
TIME COMMITMENT: Minimum of 4 hours a week, 6 months and 100 hours of service.
BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check must be successfully completed.
TRAINING: In addition to attending New Ambassador Orientation, Ambassadors will be trained in the area/department they are placed.
RESTRICTIONS: Volunteer positions may not be used to fulfill court-ordered community service or school service hours.
HEALTH CLEARANCES: Following orientation, volunteers are required to meet with Employee Health to discuss the required immunizations, TB testing and physician clearance.
CONFIDENTIALITY: Volunteers must abide by all patient confidentiality guidelines, customer service expectations, and hospital policies.
- Personal Satisfaction
- Valuable Service to Patients, Visitors and Staff
- Complimentary Ambassador Logo Wear
- Annual Service Recognition
- Access to Special Educational Programs
- Free, Preferential Parking
- Complimentary Meal for shifts of 4 hours or more (discount available when not working)
- Fellowship with Other Ambassadors
- Discounts on Entertainment Tickets, Wellness Classes and More
- Free Yearly Flu Shots
Student Volunteer Details
Request an application by contacting Abby Hardwick, Volunteer Services Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or 913-791-4380. Student volunteer opportunities are limited and based upon department availability. Applications should be requested by February 15th to ensure a spot in the current year’s program.
- AGE: 14 years of age or older (18+ is required in our Emergency Care Center) prior to March 1 and enrolled in high school or college courses.
- TIME COMMITMENT: Minimum of 4 hours a week during June and July (8 weeks total).
- APPLICATION PROCESS: Contact the Olathe Medical Center Volunteer Services Manager, Abby Hardwick, prior to February 15 of the year summer placement is desired to request an application packet.
- HEALTH CLEARANCES: Submit completed immunization form included in application packet.
- PARENTAL PERMISSION: Applicants under the age of 18 must submit a completed parental permission form.
- TRANSPORTATION: Must have reliable transportation and be dependable to arrive on time as scheduled. On-site parking is available.
- CONFIDENTIALITY: Student Ambassadors must abide by all patient confidentiality guidelines, customer service expectations and hospital policies.
- TRAINING: All Student Ambassadors are required to attend the student orientation on the date provided in your acceptance packet. Department specific training will also be provided upon placement.
- UNIFORM: All Student Ambassadors are required to wear an Olathe Medical Center polo provided at orientation.