April 28, 2017
New Birth Place and NICU at Olathe Medical Center Opens in May
OLATHE, KAN. (April 28, 2017) – Olathe Medical Center's new Birth Place, featuring a Level II Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU), opens May 24. The four-story obstetrics unit includes private, single-family NICU rooms, queen-size beds in the post-delivery suites, and secure webcams for family and friends to view the baby real-time, on any device.
Other highlights include:
- Single-family rooms allow a parent to stay with their baby in the NICU.
- Olathe Medical Center is the only birthing center in the area to include full, private bathrooms in the NICU single-family rooms.
- A secure webcam on the newborn's incubator allows parents, family and friends to view the baby in real-time, on any device, even when they are far away.
Labor and Delivery Suites
- Labor suites include a jetted tub for hydrotherapy while in labor and an in-ceiling, adjustable fan situated directly above the head of the bed to keep mom cool while laboring.
- The operating room for patients delivering via Cesarean section is equipped with a camera above the baby warmer, allowing mom to see her baby immediately after delivery.
- Each suite includes a queen-size Murphy bed big enough to share, a jetted air tub or deluxe shower, USB ports, mini-refrigerators and a flat screen TV.
- A newborn sink is in each room, with a heated lamp above it, designed to easily and comfortably bathe the baby.
- The OH! Baby Boutique, located on the first floor of The Birth Place, offers breastfeeding necessities, a bra-fitting room, infant care items and gifts.
- Patients will be able to order room service from our new Café 151 directly from their bedside phone.
The new building, located off 151st St. in Olathe, is part of a $100 million multi-year expansion for Olathe Health. The addition includes a new main entrance and lobby, a new café and a coffee shop. The Birth Place is also expandable both horizontally and vertically — reaching up to seven floors.