OMC’s NICU in Affiliation with Children’s Mercy
We’re proud to collaborate with Children’s Mercy to provide enhanced 24/7 NICU care to our tiniest patients. In addition to our highly-trained physicians and staff at The Birth Place, we have board-certified neonatologists and neonatal nurse practitioners (NNPs) from Children’s Mercy.
In our advanced Level II NICU, mom can stay overnight with her baby in the same room, providing peace of mind when you need it most.
Your pediatrician can solve most health problems of newborns. A neonatologist is trained specifically to handle the most complex and high-risk situations.
If your newborn is premature, or has a serious illness, injury, or birth defect, a neonatologist may assist at the time of delivery and in the subsequent care of your newborn. If a problem is identified before your baby is born, a neonatologist may become involved in your baby’s care, as well as your provider, during pregnancy.
What Kind of Care Do Neonatologists Provide?
Neonatologists generally provide the following care:
- Diagnose and treat newborns with conditions, such as breathing disorders, infections and birth defects.
- Coordinate care and medically manage newborns born premature, critically ill, or in need of surgery.
- Ensure that critically ill newborns receive the proper nutrition for healing and growth.
- Provide care to the newborn at delivery that involves medical problems in the mother or baby that may compromise the infant’s health and require medical intervention in the delivery room.
- Stabilize and treat newborns with any life-threatening medical problems.
- Consult with obstetricians, pediatricians and family physicians about conditions affecting newborn infants.
Neonatologists work mainly in special care nurseries or the NICU. In some cases, after a newborn has been discharged from the unit, a neonatologist may provide short-term follow-up care on an outpatient basis. Your neonatologist will coordinate care with your baby’s pediatrician.
Olathe Health Locations
The Birth Place20333 W. 151st St.
Olathe, Kansas 66061 913-791-4396
Children’s Mercy Hospital – NICUAdele Hall Campus
2401 Gillham Rd.
Kansas City, Missouri 64108 816-234-3511
Meet Our NICU Graduates
At Olathe Medical Center, we’re especially proud of the care we give to our tiniest patients. We’ve had many babies graduate from our Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) at the Birth Place, and we love to watch them grow up. Here’s a look at some of those graduates.