Therapy to help decrease dizziness, improve stability and increase general activity levels
Our certified Vestibular Physical Therapists evaluate and treat patients with vertigo, balance and movement-related dizziness.
Our Vestibular, Balance and Fall Rehabilitation Services
Our therapists evaluate and treat patients with vertigo, balance, concussion and movement-related dizziness. Vestibular rehabilitation patients are provided with appropriate habituation exercises, balance retraining and positional maneuvers to allow them to manage and control their symptoms.
These therapies are available to patients in Olathe and Paola. The Vestibular, Balance and Fall Rehabilitation Program is provided by Physical Therapists at Olathe Health Rehabilitation Services - Olathe Medical Center and Olathe Health Rehabilitation Services - Santa Fe Commons. The Miami County Medical Center Vestibular and Concussion Program is provided by Physical Therapists at Olathe Health Rehabilitation Services - Osawatomie.
About Vestibular Rehabilitation
Vestibular rehabilitation is an exercise approach to managing symptoms of inner ear disorders.
- Decrease dizziness
- Improve stability with ambulation
- Increase general activity levels
People with the following functional problems may benefit from a referral to a rehabilitation program:
- Persistent position or movement-related dizziness
- Disequilibrium or imbalance
- Increased sensitivity to visual motion stimuli, difficulty focusing
- Secondary complaints such as fatigue, headaches and muscle tension because of dizziness
- Symptoms resulting from concussion
A Vestibular Therapist will perform a clinical assessment, which focuses on three major areas:
- Evaluation of the neuromusculosketal system including general range- of-motion, strength, sensation and coordination testing
- Balance and gait assessment
- Vertigo assessment
Balance and gait assessment includes testing that allows comparison of a person’s level of balance function to his or her age group. Static and dynamic balance skills are assessed during gait.
Vertigo assessment begins with a dizziness questionnaire to determine the frequency and severity of symptoms. Specific position testing helps to determine the cause of vertigo so it can be treated effectively.
After the assessment the therapist establishes an individualized functional program. Specific maneuvers and exercises are used to treat the dizziness.
The Vestibular Rehabilitation program consists of exercises in these areas:
- Canalith repositioning maneuvers for the treatment of Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo
- Habituation exercises for management of dizziness
- Balance retraining exercises designed to improve coordination of muscle responses as well as using sensory information for balance control
- Fitness exercises to increase general activity levels
In addition to their home program, patients are seen in Rehabilitation Services one to two times per week for an average of two to five weeks. During outpatient therapy, progress is monitored and home exercises are modified as needed to achieve optimal patient outcomes.
How to Get Started
For more information about our Vestibular Rehabilitation Programs, contact either of these locations:
Olathe Health Rehabilitation Services - Osawatomie
About Olathe Health Rehabilitation Services
Olathe Health offers a wide range of Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Speech-Language Pathology and specialty therapies for children and adults. Our licensed therapists work with inpatients at Olathe Medial Center and Miami County Medical Center and outpatients at 11 convenient locations in Johnson and Miami counties.
Certified Therapists provide specialty rehabilitation services like Hand Therapy, Pediatric Therapy, LSVT for patients with Parkinson's and more.
Olathe, Kansas 66061 913-791-4325 option 2
Olathe, Kansas 66061 913-355-8621
Osawatomie, Kansas 66064 913-755-2078
Olathe, Kansas 66062 913-324-8685