Nephrologists diagnose and treat kidney diseases, including providing dialysis and transplantation.
The human body usually has two kidneys that are responsible for filtering toxins out of the blood and removing waste, regulating blood pressure and maintaining a balance of fluids and nutrients.
Conditions Nephrologists Treat
- Chronic or recurrent urinary tract infections
- Electrolyte disorders or acid/base imbalance
- Hematuria, blood loss in the urine
- Hypertension (high blood pressure) that has failed to respond to treatment
- Kidney stones
- Kidney failure
- Proteinuria, the loss of protein in the urine