Student Opportunities at Olathe Health
Olathe Health provides area high school and college students with opportunities to work, volunteer and job shadow in the healthcare field.
We also offer healthcare scholarships to graduating seniors going into the healthcare field.
Join Our Team
The BEAM Program is a partnership between Olathe Medical Center and the Olathe School District that provides students with opportunities to observe several professions within the medical field. The BEAM Program includes opportunities to shadow and participate in an internship, as well as a career night that allows students to tour the facility and learn about a variety of different clinical fields. If you are a student within the Olathe School District, please contact your career counselor.
If you would like to shadow a physician, please call the physician's clinic.
For non-physician-related shadowing opportunities, several departments at Olathe Medical Center and its outlying clinics offer these. You must be at least 16 years old or order to apply. These opportunities are coordinated directly by the department where you wish to shadow. Olathe Medical Center offers the following areas for shadowing. Please contact the appropriate person via email, by clicking on their name below:
Radiology: Christie Zemencik - email@example.com
Laboratory: Katie Aldis - firstname.lastname@example.org
Respiratory Care: Merrill Pickert - email@example.com
Pharmacy: Phil Schneider - firstname.lastname@example.org
Rehabilitation Services: Jamie Nordstrom - email@example.com
The application is available for download on the right-hand side of this page.
During the summer, student ambassadors are an important addition to Olathe Medical Center. Our summer program offers students the opportunity to give their time while gaining valuable experience within a hospital setting. Students gain great satisfaction from constructive service and develop a sense of civic responsibility while performing day to day non-medical functions in their assigned area. Student volunteer opportunities are limited and based upon department availability.
Student Volunteer Requirements
- AGE: 14 years of age or older (18+ is required in our Emergency Care Center) prior to March 1 and enrolled in high school or college courses.
- TIME COMMITMENT: Minimum of 4 hours a week during June and July (8 weeks total).
- APPLICATION PROCESS: Request an application by contacting the Olathe Medical Center Volunteer Services Manager, Abby Hardwick, prior to February 15 of the year summer placement is desired. You can call her at 913-791-4380 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- HEALTH CLEARANCES: Submit completed immunization form included in application packet.
- PARENTAL PERMISSION: Applicants under the age of 18 must submit a completed parental permission form.
- TRANSPORTATION: Must have reliable transportation and be dependable to arrive on time as scheduled. On-site parking is available.
- CONFIDENTIALITY: Student Ambassadors must abide by all patient confidentiality guidelines, customer service expectations and hospital policies.
- TRAINING: All Student Ambassadors are required to attend the student orientation on the date provided in your acceptance packet. Department specific training will also be provided upon placement.
- UNIFORM: All Student Ambassadors are required to wear an Olathe Medical Center polo provided at orientation.
Ready to Volunteer?
Contact Abby Hardwick, Volunteer Services Manager
The Olathe Health Healthcare Career Scholarship Program provides financial assistance to seniors graduating from the high schools in our service area who choose to pursue a career in the healthcare field. Olathe Health will award scholarships annually to graduating seniors at each of the area high schools.
How to Apply:
- Download the Application
- Submit three completed applications to Olathe Medical Center no later than Friday, Feb. 28, 2020.
- Note: Counselors, please return completed scholarship packets to: Olathe Medical Center PR Team, The Doctors Building 1, 20375 W. 151st St., Ste. 325, Olathe, KS 66061.
- All applications will be reviewed by a scholarship committee from Olathe Health. Winners will be notified by their counselor.
If You are a Winner:
- Submit proof of enrollment (class schedule, financial statement etc.), as soon as it becomes available, to Lacey Kane at email@example.com.
- Include your student ID number and the mailing address where the scholarship check should go.
- Please allow 2 - 3 weeks for processing your request.