Family medicine specialists provide primary medical care for patients of all ages, with a strong emphasis on the family.
Family physicians see patients of any gender and age, from infants to the elderly. Many people choose a family physician so that the whole family sees the same doctor. The family medicine physicians can coordinate overall care for all family members, and refer to specialty care and services with the family's best interests in mind. Some family physicians deliver babies and have additional qualifications in prenatal care, pregnancy and delivery.
Family medicine services include:
- Comprehensive diagnosis and primary care services for the whole family
- Treatment of acute and chronic illnesses
- Disease prevention and management, including heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, osteoporosis, arthritis, cholesterol management, etc.
- Men's health
- Women's health (some physicians also provide obstetrical care)
- Senior health
- Pediatric and adolescent health
- Physicals and screenings
- Well-child check-ups
- Mild injury care (cuts, bruises, sprains, pulled muscles)
- Minor procedures (removal of lesions, wart treatment, etc.)
- Healthy lifestyle management, including smoking cessation and weight management
To locate a physician specializing in family medicine, please use the Find a Specialist tool in the upper left corner of this screen.