When we enter this world we are surrounded by love, comfort and care. When we leave, don't we deserve the same?
Olathe Health System has provided hospice services for more than 30 years. We believe the end of life can be a meaningful time for patients and their loved ones. When staying at home at the end of one's life is not an option, there is a peaceful care alternative-inpatient hospice care at Olathe Medical Center's Hospice House. The home-like environment provides medical and nursing care, plus emotional and spiritual support, not only for the patient, but also family and friends. This "home" will be dedicated and uniquely equipped to provide modern medicine and compassionate care to terminally ill patients, enabling them and their families to live fully and comfortably while coping with end-of-life issues.
15310 S. Marion Street
Olathe, KS 66061
Hospice House Amenities
- A private and serene environment, inside and out, located at Olathe Medical Park, on the campus of Olathe Medical Center.
- Communal sitting areas, kitchen facilities, flower gardens, screened-in porch and other amenities to ensure a comfortable setting.
- Around-the-clock nursing care.
- Respite care.
The Hospice House at Olathe Medical Park is being built and managed as a service to the community. Programs like this rely heavily on contributions from the community for the initial construction and ongoing sustainability of services. The community came together and helped OMC raise $3.7 million for the initial construction of the Hospice House. There is now an ongoing need for additional funds to help provide ongoing special services for hospice patients, like massage therapy and spiritual care.
How to Give
Donations to the Hospice House may be made in either a lump sum, or pledged over multiple years. If you would like to discuss a donation of stock, insurance policy, land or other assets, or if you are considering a donation via your Will or estate, please contact the Charitable Foundation at 913-791-4216.
You may also donate online through our convenient, secure donation tool.
If you would prefer to make a donation by phone, please call 913-791-4216.
Our mailing address is:
Olathe Medical Center Charitable Foundation
20375 W. 151st, Suite 363 -Olathe, KS 66061
Hospice volunteers provide services to patients with life-limiting illness, enabling them to spend quality time in their end-of-life. Here are just a few of the volunteer positions available:
- Direct Patient Care (either in the patient’s residence or at the Hospice House): read aloud, make a light snack, write correspondence, converse, play music, light feeding, etc. No patient lifting involved. Hours are agreed-upon between patient/family and volunteer.
- House Assistant (at the Hospice House): greet visitors, answer phones, tidy up, set up a donated meal, give tours to families and make snacks. Day, evening, and weekend positions are available from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Deliveries: Drive items from various nearby locations to the Hospice House
- Office Assistant: mailing, sorting, copying, basic computer work
- Spiritual Care (for chaplains and those with a formal religious background): pray with patient, discuss spirituality, discuss death and dying, coordinate other religious services
- Family Meal (monthly or quarterly -- great for volunteer groups): Prepare a meal off-site and deliver to the Hospice House. Guidelines for cooking the meals are provided.
- Music (at the Hospice House): Play a soothing instrument in the halls and/or common rooms
- Pet Therapy (at the Hospice House): Provide pet interaction for patients, families (must be registered with Pet Partners. Please visit www.mo-kanpetpartners.org for more information)
- One-Time Events: Assist at open houses, special events -- greet visitors, give tours or stock refreshments, direct traffic
For more information, or to get involved, please contact Amy Potts, Hospice Volunteer Coordinator, at 913-324-8515, or email Amy at email@example.com. The next hospice volunteer training will take place on Thursday, July 31st. Please contact Amy to sign up.