This program is directed to those who work with patients/clients in a healthcare setting. The information provided at this program will cover Kansas laws.
Registration & Introduction
Medical Forensics from Cradle to Grave - Jennifer L. Johnson, MSN, WHNP-BC, APRN, SANE-A, SANE-P
12:00p-1:30p - Lunch On Your Own
1:30p-2:30p The Outrage
"The Outrage" is an educational theatre performance piece that addresses the topics of teen dating violence and sexual assault in a candid, yet sensitive manner. High school students present current statistical information and depict realistic dating situations. Following the 25-minute performance, the high school actors answer questions from the audience.
The information presented is valuable to any person who knows, or is, a teenager. One in five high school students reports being physically and/or sexually abused by a dating partner. Fifty-four percent of parents admit they have not talked to their child about dating violence.
2:45p-4:15p Strangulation - Jennifer L. Johnson, MSN, WHNP-BC, APRN, SANE-A, SANE-P
Evaluation and Wrap-Up
Course Objectives: Upon completion of this course, the active learner will:
- Discuss mechanism of injuries found in abused patients.
- Discuss Kansas mandatory reporting statutes for elder abuse & maltreatment, child maltreatment, and sexual assault.
- Discuss the process of ompleting a medical forensic evidentiary examination on victims and suspects..
- Discuss the patho-physiological response to strangulation.
- Discuss lethality and morbidity associated with strangulation.
- Discuss injuries frequently seen in strangulation patients; national vs. local.
Olathe Medical Center Education Department is approved as a provider of continuing nursing education by the Kansas State Board of Nursing. This course offering is approved for 6 contact hours applicable for RN or LPN relicensure. Kansas State Board of Nursing Approved Provider Number LT0048-0749.